Frequently Asked Questions / The Steele Law FirmFrequently Asked Questions

I was just in an accident, what should I do?

Accidents happen fast. If you are in an accident the first thing you should do is stop. Next, dial 911. If you are injured, wait for emergency responders to arrive before trying to move. If you are not injured, you and the other driver(s) must exchange information. You will want the other driver’s name, address, phone numbers, driver’s license number, insurance carrier, policy number, agent, and a phone number for the agent.

If I witness an accident should I try to help?

First, always stop and and dial 911! Second, exchange contact information with the victim or emergency responders so that you can tell them later that you are a witness to the accident. Third, take pictures because a picture never lies. Finally, write down what you remember as quickly as possible. Click here to learn more

Who is responsible for paying for my medical care if I have been hurt?

The person or corporation who caused the accident (or their insurance company) is responsible for paying for your medical care. In some cases, your normal health insurance or car insurance carrier will also be involved with paying your medical expenses. In fact, it is against the law in Missouri for your health insurance provider to refuse payment for injuries you suffered from an accident. In any event, it is critical that you identify which injuries occurred because of the accident and contact a Kansas City personal injury attorney as quickly as possible.

What if I miss work because of my injury?

You should keep a log of all the time you miss work because of the injuries sustained in your accident. This is true even if your employer makes you use sick days or vacation time. Also, document all of the money you lose from missing work such as tips or bonuses. The person or company who caused your injuries is responsible for paying you for the time you miss work and any lost wages. For that reason, documenting these losses is essential to maximizing your compensation.

Should I hire a lawyer?

No matter the severity of your accident you should consult with a lawyer regarding your rights. Only an experienced attorney can review all the facts and circumstances of your particular case and give you an informed opinion of the best strategy to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. If you choose to negotiate a settlement yourself then you are putting your compensation in the hands of an insurance adjuster who is paid and promoted to keep the company’s expenses as low as possible. However, the choice of a lawyer is an important one and there are certain things every person should ask before hiring any lawyer. Click here to learn more

Will I collect more without a lawyer?

Many injured people worry that using an attorney will decrease the amount of compensation he or she receives. However, often time the opposite is true. An experienced personal injury attorney can increase the amount of money you receive for your injuries. This is because an experienced personal injury attorney knows what your case is worth and how to fight against the standard and terrible tactics insurance company’s use everyday to pay less for injuries they caused. Most importantly, we operate on a contingency fee and do not charge you a penny until we collect what you deserve.

What is a contingency fee?

Our Kansas City personal injury law firm represents you on a contingency fee basis. This means an experience personal injury attorney is representing you and is dedicated to getting the best results possible. Put simply, we collect nothing unless we win your case. Click here to learn more

What affects the value of my case?

The value of your case depends on many factors, but here are a few of the most important: (1) how badly you are injured; (2) how badly did the wrongdoer act; (3) can the responsible party pay; and (4) documentation. Click here to learn more

How can I increase the value of my case?

You can take four easy steps to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve: (1) call the police immediately and ensure a report is created; (2) take photographs; (3) seek medical attention immediately; and (4) do not sign or agree to anything from an insurance company before you speak with an attorney at the Steele Law Firm. Click here to learn more